Would you agree that right now, at this point in history, we are under a little more additional stress than we have ever been? The last year and a half has been an interesting roller coaster ride of emotions. I don’t think anyone could have predicted all that we have seen or gone through during this.
If there is one word that sums up our practice and approach to health and well-being, it’s ADAPT. It is our Nervous System’s job to adapt every second of every day to millions of inputs and stimuli. Without it, our body temperature would continue to rise every time we step outside in the summer. We wouldn’t know when to remove our hand when we touch a hot stove. Adapting is vital!
But in times like these, it’s nice to have a little extra support. What if there was something we could take to help us ADAPT to all the chaos and the stress that comes with it?
Well, good news! There are specific herbs that we love to take to give us superpowers to handle the added stress in times, just like these. And, it’s even in their names. ADAPTOGENS!
Adaptogenic herbs have been used for thousands of years to treat and manage various kinds of disease processes, especially nerve conditions. From increasing stamina, reducing anxiety and depression, eliminating inflammation, enhancing digestion, and even improving brain function, adaptogens have a long list of health benefits.
In short, adaptogens enhance physical and mental states and lead to a greater sense of happiness.(1)
I recently found that I needed a little added support to adapt to various stressors and began supplementing with my favorite adaptogen, ASHWAGANDHA (it’s my favorite because it works for me!). Not long after taking it, I started noticing I had more energy, better mood, more mental clarity, and yes, I felt happier too.
Don’t get me wrong; this isn’t something you take and then scroll social media and watch the news all day. These herbs are something to SUPPLEMENT what you are already doing to improve your health and vitality daily. And, as always, consult your local health expert if you have any questions on where or how to begin.
Here are our FIVE favorite ADAPTogenic herbs and some of their benefits:(2)
1) Ashwagandha (KSM-66)- This herb has many known health benefits but mainly revolves around increasing stamina and reducing stress. KSM-66 is the potent form of ashwagandha and the most bioavailable for our bodies.
2) Panax Ginseng (American Ginseng)– This herb is often known as the most “potent” of the adaptogens and is excellent for improving calmness and enhancing memory.
3) Holy Basil (Tulsi)– This herb has been called the “anti-aging herb” in Indian cultures. On top of that, it is great for its “anti-stress” properties.
4) Rhodiola (Rhodiola Rosea) is known again for reducing stress in the body but is especially helpful in reducing fatigue caused by stress.
5) Cordyceps (mushrooms)- We love these! Reishi, Lion’s Man, Shitake are all great mushrooms with powerful benefits. These benefits are primarily due to the high level of antioxidants that reduce cortisol’s effect on the body. They are also great for enhancing immune function, which we all know is important right now!
If you are interested in how adaptogens can help you, please let us know. We get all of our herbs from Nutrition World here in Chattanooga (https://nutritionw.com/). We know them and trust them and know that they only provide the highest quality supplements